Sunday, December 27, 2009

Shoes hunging from overhead wires

I use to wander myself about the meaning of such tradition of throwing

shoes and leave them hanging from overhead wires. I use to see that

only in some American movie about detective stories of some suburbs.

It was November of 2009 when I went to Mallorca to visit my friend In Mallorca when suddenly I sow some shoes hanging from a power cable, obviously I thought it was some kids stuff, but still.. I was pretty sure it was a proper meaning for shoes hanging from overhead wires and it did not take long to find out the meaning by internet.

A number of sinister explanations have been proposed as to why this is done:

Some say that shoes hanging from the wires advertise a local crack house where crack cocaine is used and sold.

Others claim that the shoes so thrown commemorate a gang-related murder, or the death of a gang member, or as a way of marking gang turf.

Other less sinister explanations have been ventured for the practice.

Some[who?] claim that shoes are flung to commemorate the end of a school year or a forthcoming marriage as part of a rite of passage.

In Scotland, it has been said that when a young man has lost his virginity he tosses his shoes over telephone wires to announce this to his peers.

It has been suggested that the custom may have originated with

members of the military, who are said to have thrown military boots,

often painted orange or some other conspicuous color, at overhead wires as a part of a rite of passage upon.

However, I would believe that children were just messing around and

there were no much to take seriously and basically it was just out of curiosity..

No comments: